I’ve been listening to Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke (or Robin #Thicke if is video is to be believed) on repeat all day today. Now I know that I’m ridiculously behind the times and this song has been out for some time, and is likely on its way to being overplayed, because it’s remarkably catchy. But this is what happens when you don’t listen to the radio and instead listen to indie music in your car. So, essentially, I’m sort of just getting into it now. And today, for the first time ever, I saw the video and I question much of it.
- There is an AWFUL lot of handsome here. Robin, Pharrell, T.I.? Good lanta.
- Pharrell Williams is 40 years old. WHAT IS YOUR SECRET PHARRELL? Doesn’t look a day over 27. Amazing.
- Why is Robin eating ice cream? Not that I object per se, but it does make me want a cone.
- Why does Robin get slapped in the face by a woman’s foot? What could possibly have led to that point?
- Why is a woman prancing about twirling a sausage links?
I think, essentially, for this video, they just put a whole bunch of pretty people together in a cream-painted room, dressed them in monochromatic colours, let them raid the prop closet, and then essentially let them do whatever they want. It’s both sexy and incredibly silly. The one girl dancing at the beginning gets me every time. The lack of grace, the enthusiasm … it’s brilliant.
~ Julia Maurice Sabre-Ocean